Monday, June 1, 2009

A Socialite's Home and Life Lessons for the Week

Last week, while culminating in painful speeches at my younger brother's high school graduation, was mostly filled with the task I hate the most: moving.

Not only was it moving myself (bad enough), but it was moving BF. BF is finally growing up, and when his roommate took a job out-of-state, I finally convinced him he finally decided to live on his own. I am so proud of my all-grown-up BF, but unfortunately that left him without a moving buddy. So out of gratitude for no longer having to check the hallway before going to/from the bathroom at night, I volunteered. Because I am just that lovely.

However, an hour and a half into scrubbing the stove (no bigger than two feet by three feet), I was severely regretting my decision. Eight hours spent dusting, mopping, vacuuming, and scrubbing quickly shows you why Merry Maids is such a successful operation. Not only does Soft Scrub ruin a manicure, it also left pink blotches on my light-blue cotton tee I wore for the occasion. Ten points for me finally getting the old apartment move-out ready, minus 20 for my ruined Gap t-shirt.

After scrubbing until my hands were raw, it was time to pack. After two years of coming home late and passing out, BF had junk strewn all over the small penthouse. While a lot of it was in garbage bags due to pre-move cleaning, we still had to devote two or three "junk boxes" to various documents, receipts, movies, books, etc. Someday, I swear I will have no such thing as a "junk box."

While I didn't do any heavy lifting, I was responsible for the small boxes and miscellaneous suitcases. Four hours of walking up and down stairs was miserable, but finally done. Life lesson #2: Movers are also in business for a reason.

Currently the new apartment looks like a storage unit with boxes and suitcases strewn about the living room and the mattress still on the floor, a blanket haphazardly thrown across the top. However, now the fun part begins. Decorating.

BF, now a big boy, is ready for new furniture, wall ornaments, and other various items that go along with a well-styled home. This is one part of moving I will never hire out. While I would love to spend a few days with my account manager at Gabberts, BF's "cost-concious" attitude about his new but not permanent home leads me to IKEA. As long as he gets new bedsheets (ok, and a few other items), that's fine with me. Here are a few things I am hoping to pick up on a trip to the big blue buidling this weekend:


I know...long list. But hopefully a long list will also lead to a long list of actual purchases. I'll let you know. (All images are from IKEA.com, except for the lovely crisp bedspread, which is from Target.com.)

What about you, lovely reader? What are your favorite parts about moving to a new place? Do you also dream of one day leaving everything old in the old and re-buying everything new for the new?

I leave you with my dream come true, complete with Carolina Herrera, dogs, and fabulous lifestyle:
Photo: Douglas Friedman for Harper's Bazaar

No comments:

Post a Comment