Thursday, June 18, 2009

You Look New

Yesterday I promised a review of the production of “Singin’ In the Rain” I attended last night. While the play was wonderful and worthy of praise, my experiences with my fellow theater-goers inspired today’s post on a completely different topic: People who have no manners.

To give the people who sat around me last night the benefit of the doubt, it may have been their first time in a theater (or at least, I hope it was). I recognize that many people may not have had the opportunity to grow up going to plays and musicals, and therefore might not know what to wear, how to conduct themselves, etc. However… the rudeness of some of the people who sat near me last night was disgraceful, and in my humble opinion, completely out of line for even the most ignorant person.

I’ll start with the more petty things that probably only annoy me, and then work my way up.

BF and I almost arrived late to the show, and the curtain rose less than a minute after we took our seats. Just enough time to scope out the dress of those around me. Part of me wishes we had arrived two minutes later. The woman next to me wore flip-flops, and we’re not talking cute sandals, we’re talking worn out rubber flip-flops a la Target. I would have forgiven the shoe choice if not for her pick of dress, an ankle length brown rayon shirtdress. The couple on BF’s side was in jeans and nice shirts, not bad, except for the girl had a nice big knee patch on one leg. Finally, a young man sitting behind us was wearing a hoodie, ripped jeans, and tennis shoes, which BF had to politely ask him to take off of the top of his seat before he sat down. Call me snobby, but where do these people think they are? The Ordway isn’t owned by AMC, people.

Once the play began however, the real fun started. During the introduction of characters, a couple two rows in front of us (I later found out they were also wearing jeans and a jersey dress) began catcalling, whooping, and yelling for one character in particular. I assume they knew the actor, but if they did, they should have known better than to interrupt the play with their antics. Once again, Singin’ In the Rain isn’t a Vikings game.

Next, the two women sitting behind me started up. They talked THE WHOLE SHOW. And if they weren’t complaining about how bad their seats were (we were in great seats), they were howling with laughter that I swear people must have heard all the way in Rice Park. I finally glanced back at them with a look that said “please be quiet,” but rather than hush up they just got louder, now complaining about the “tight a** b$%*h sitting in front of them. Lovely.

The incident that took the cake came at intermission. The two chatter-birds behind me came in after BF and I had returned from our drinks, complaining very loudly about the “door Nazi” that wouldn’t let them bring their chocolate cake in the theater. Personally, with as slobby and loud as they were being, I wouldn’t let them have chocolate cake in the first place, much less bring it into the theater where they no doubt would smack their lips and spill crumbs all through the second act. Two seconds after they sat down, a man in a tuxedo walked by carrying some form of an alcoholic drink, and then they really started in.

“Did you see that? He has a drink! Oh My God! Why does he get a drink? We didn’t get our chocolate cake! What is this? Hummph”

Part of me almost turned around to politely tell them that when you dress and act appropriately for your surroundings, you would be surprised at what you can get away with, but I kept it to myself and endured the second act with them now complaining about how they would never come again and be “treated like this.”

Thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment