Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Why You Should Never Go Shopping Without Your Umbrella

Yesterday morning I forgot to check weather.com, and I paid for it.

I left work to go run some errands a little after 4 p.m. downtown, but rather than go retrieve my car I decided to use public transportation because all of my destinations were located right on convenient bus lines. I skywayed it to my bus stop, and then stayed closely under the awning of the building while I waited. I wasn't too worried-- it was barely drizzling.

Then I got off the bus into a torrential downpour. Running in four inch heels is hard when the sidewalk is dry, and near impossible when you have to run up steps on wet pavement, all the while trying to cover your dry-clean-only ensemble and prevent your phone from getting wet inside your tote. Success was impossible.

I finished one errand and continued on to the next in a less torrential but still downpour rain. By this time I had given up on running, and turned my attention to coverage. Imagine a miserable Minneapolite desperately trying to keep her handbag closed under her arm, hunched over in vain to protect her dress and you have a good mental image of me.

After errand number two I had planned on going shopping at Cliche to pick something up for the Poolside Fashion Show. I knew it was probably a bad idea given the disarray of my hair and makeup, but I forged ahead, promising myself I would only decide on a frock from the neck down.

Although I failed in my promise and depressed myself with every glance in the mirror, I did come away with a lovely piece by Emily Weich! I am so excited to wear it tomorrow night (as long as the show isn't rained out!).

On the dance card for tonight is Singin' In the Rain at the Ordway! I am dragging BF along, and it will be his first live musical (that doesn't involve puppets). As fate would have it, Singin' In the Rain was my first live musical too, many many years ago. It has remained one of my favs and I was ecstatic when I got tickets.

Back tomorrow with a review (of course) and more anticipation of the Poolside Fashion Show (fingers crossed).

In the meantime, what is everyone else's favorite plays or musicals? Any special memories related to the theater? Commentter s'il vous plait!

No comments:

Post a Comment