Friday, May 22, 2009

Black Hole #501

Because it’s the end of the week and I am therefore surrounded by crowds of men and women who have tossed their suits and ties in honor of “Casual Friday,” I thought today would be the perfect day to explain to you all why I don’t wear jeans.

Before I get started however, let me be clear. There are a few exceptions to my rule. I do own a few pair for the days my activities are particularly, well, active, or if I am engaging in some form of dirty business (i.e. cleaning, gardening, hiking, etc.). But for the majority of my business, you will find me either in dresses, skirts, or if it is especially windy (such as this Tuesday!), khakis or dress pants.

I know this sounds unusual, and I know the staple of many people’s wardrobes is their best pair of Levi’s (or True Religions), but I find them an unnecessary and, dare I say, sloppy piece of fashion. Not that jeans are sloppy themselves, in fact, many of the nicer designer labels are arguably of better quality than many other pants, but donning a pair of denim requires little thought on how to put an outfit together, often resulting in what I call “Black Hole #501.”

If you haven’t fallen victim to this light-eater of the fashion world, you at least know someone who has. The person who constantly without fail shows up to any function wearing the same jeans (because we all know when you find THAT pair, it’s THAT pair and only THAT pair from there on out to forever) and a different top. If the event is more formal, they might be wearing a button-down or a pretty blouse. If it’s a baseball game, look for the jersey (if it’s a woman, it most likely has a number seven on the back ;) ). If it’s lunch, maybe it will just be a plain white tee. But no matter what, it’s just jeans and a shirt. Maybe a few accessories if the person is more fashion-conscious.

I won’t lie. I was sucked into this cosmic toilet bowl for many years and had no idea how to work my way out. Forgoing my jeans left me with well…a bunch of shirts. And while Lady GaGa might be able to pull it off, this humble socialite isn’t ready for the world to see her underpants. As much as I love shopping, giving up my beloved denim would mean a complete wardrobe re-do, which seemed unfeasible in just one season. So without instant gratification, I continued on my dark way, buying a pair of jeans and 10 tops for every spring and fall.

Finally, last year I convinced myself the cycle had to stop. Last summer was the first season I didn’t buy a new pair of Sevens, and instead focused my bank account on cute dresses. After a few, I was hooked. The ability to throw on a dress and then focus my extra energy on accessorizing my frock was just as easy as sorting through my pile of wrinkled t-shirts. And I looked all the more stylish for it.

Since then I have slowly been adding to my collection, which now includes a multitude of skirts and coordinating tops. I am finally reaching the point where I can eliminate jeans from my closet (minus the few exceptions listed above and long overdue laundry days).

The pros of leading a much more fashionable and well-lit life seem to outweigh any cons, but there are a few. For instance, I live in Minnesota, and walking around in the winter with only tights to keep my legs warm does elicit a few odd stares and the occasional cold calf. I hope to solve that next winter with longer, knee-covering wool skirts. It can also be awkward to be the only person not wearing jeans at parties or at dinners, but what’s wrong with being unique? Finally, sometimes I just don’t have the energy and want to fall back into my hole ‘o denim. When I get the urge to slip on my TR’s and just go, I remind myself I will regret it later in the day when I have to go home and change for the evening’s dress-worthy events (another pro of leaving the jeans behind: I am ready for anything at anytime, from meeting the President to a meeting with the boss).

So what about you, my few but hopefully talkative readers? What are your wardrobe staples? Have you fallen into Black Hole #501? Is it a black hole to you, or are your favorite pair of bootlegs your shining star? I can’t wait to find out in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment