Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Met Gala and My First Post

Since registering this URL and creating my Twitter feed, I have struggled with how to start my blog. Blogging block? I suppose so. 

However,  last night finally provided me the material I had been waiting for! The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute Gala for their new exhibit "The Model As Muse" provided more than enough fodder for a first post. 

What's a better way to start off a blog on the life of a socialite than a re-cap of one of the biggest events of the season so far? A fashion critique of the red-carpet of course!  

Here's the good (few), the bad (more), and the ugly (truly terrifying): 

The Good:

Anne Hathaway in her Marc Jacobs dress looks truly stunning walking up the red-carpet stairs. The hair, make-up, and keeping the gorgeous dress the focus (i.e. not bogging herself down with accessories) all combined to make her one of the best-looking celebs at the ball.

Caroline Herrera in her own design looks... appropriate. What a well-aged woman.


Victoria Beckham, also wearing Marc Jacobs, was her usual posh self in this polka-dot dress. Not that she couldn't have pulled off a lime-green maxi with a feather in her hair if she'd wanted. Jealous much?

Unfortunately that was it for the good. Moving on...

The Bad:

Diane Kruger, wearing Chanel Haute Couture, isn't quite bad enough to qualify as ugly, but definitely qualifies as "interesting". I'm not sure how I feel about wearing your garden, but I do appreciate the nice contrast of the white dress and black accessories.



Out of all the scantily-clad ladies I saw riffling through the pictures, Ciara, wearing Pucci,
was the most classy. But do I detect a hint of crack? Ewwwww.


Kristin Dunst, wearing a Chanel Haute Couture curtain, just looks awful. I hate to hate on Chanel, but this was just wretched.

And finally...

THE UGLY:


The Emanuel Ungaro dress isn't so bad, but Maggie Rizer's hair and make-up is essentially non-existent. The fresh look can only go so far...


Hilary Swank, wearing Calvin Klein, is just all all wrong. The lack of shape in both dress and hair makes for a frumpy, "I tied on my bed sheet as I left" look. Togas are for frat parties, not the Met.


Emma Roberts in Versace Atelier reminds me of the girls who made their prom dresses out of duct-tape. Funny in high-school, not high society.
 
It is Madonna. Dress by Louis Vuitton. Nothing more on that.


Cindy Crawford, wearing a Versace gown, could not have chosen a worse dress for the occasion. Not only does the slit scream trashy, but the blue, blue, blue is all wrong, wrong, wrong for her skin tone. It is tight in all the wrong places. And her hair. Oh her hair.

Finally, ending the travesty that was fashion at the Met last night: The Gossip Girl Tragedy.




















While  being admired by millions of Americans for the high-fashion in their show, this is how they dress themselves? I was very disappointed to see borderline nakedness from Blake Lively, in Versace, and the crazy 80's throwback in Leighton's Louis Vuitton ensemble. Tacky? I think so.

All images are from WWD if you would like to take a look. What do you think? Fashion Forward or Fashion Faux Pas?

No comments:

Post a Comment