Friday, July 10, 2009

Le Rêve

Last night I dreamed in French. While I adore l'français, I have struggled with the language for many years and was shocked upon waking to realize I not only spoke decently in my dream myself, but also understood what my dream cohorts (who were French and speaking very eloquently and quickly) were saying.

I have taken French both in l'école and studied it on my own for the past 8 years. I finally stopped classes during my freshman year of college because past the requirements for language the classes get very difficult and time consuming, especially for someone who isn't getting a degree. Even still, I struggled with giving it up because I felt that after so much study I should have more to show for it than a small vocabulary and almost no ability to coherently speak (reading I can do).

But last night, I was mingling and discussing far beyond any skills I have in real life. And I think I was actually speaking the language, not just a made up dream version that was real in only my head. Maybe my dream skills will translate into waking life. Lucky for me, I can try out my ability this weekend at Bastille Day!

Is anyone else attending? If you see a girl struggling to be chic and telling everyone, "But this worked in my dreams," then my cover might be blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment