Monday, July 20, 2009

Appreciating The 'Burbs

As alluded to in my tweet from yesterday, I spent all of yesterday afternoon on Lake Minnetonka with BF and friends (and yes, more than one person felt the need to yell "We're on a BOAT!").

Although I grew up in the suburbs, since my move downtown I have developed a sort of irrational fear of them. It just seems there are too many cheery people, too many children, and most of all, too much space. Reverse-claustrophobia? Maybe.

But, for all my fears, I will always brave the 'burbs for an afternoon on the lake. To this day, after all my travels (even including my day spent on Lake Como in Northern Italy) I still believe Lake Minnetonka is the prettiest place on the planet. When BF's friend offered to take us out on his cruiser, we packed our bag and dug out our swimsuits, no questions asked.

The day was perfect (despite the dreary Fri/Sat) and so we spent a few hours on the lake drifting, then headed over to Maynard's for apps and drinks. Apps are not quite in my diet, but I tried a few chicken strips. My body actually sort of revolted against them... I'm thinking this is a good sign. As much as the fruit and veggies are exactly satisfying, at least my body knows that's what it's getting, and is getting used to it.

After Maynard's it was back to Wayzata Bay, then back downtown for BF and I. While I was glad to see the skyline of my beloved city, I must praise the 'burbs for offering up an excellent afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment