Tuesday, July 14, 2009

How I Could Be Dying and Not Even Know It

That might be a bit dramatic, but I have learned over the past three weeks how true it is. At the start of summer, I realized I've been behind on doctor's appointments, and a few annoying problems I have been having both with my skin and a general bloated feeling finally pushed me to make appointments.

After the first visit to a family doctor about my inflated feelings, I walked out terrified. He became very concerned about my "condition" and even had me make an appointment for an expensive CAT scan, in case blood tests came back indicating I might have swollen organs. Seriously.

So for five days I waited, and waited, and waited some more to hear back about my blood tests. I went in on a Friday, so I understood when I didn't hear anything over the weekend, but by Wednesday I was getting impatient (rightfully so!) and my scan was coming up in two days. Finally, I gave in and called them. Left a message. Then, on Friday, when I wasn't sure what to do about the CAT scan, I got a call back indicating everything was fine, they had no clue what was wrong with me, but I shouldn't worry about it. Really? After all that? And I shouldn't worry about it? Ok. Fine.

Moving on to appointment #2. I was put on an antibiotic to help my acne, and after taking it for a few days I didn't notice any difference except I was dizzy all the time. I thought the medication might have been the cause, but I didn't want to stop taking it and decided to see if it would pass. Three days later, on my back on the couch for 48 hours straight, I decided no one would even get to see my clear skin if I didn't get better. I went off the meds, and immediately returned to my happy-go-lucky Minneapolite ways. I prayed it was just a fluke, and tried them again later that week, but three days later my head was spinning and I gave up. I called the doctor about new medication last week, and just finally heard back today. While not as serious as Doctor #1, it still annoys me that I am sick and not even a doctor will help me! Not even when they and their stupid tests/medications are the cause of my pain and suffering! Ugh.

So now, a new perscription. I'm almost scared to go pick it up. Who knows what will happen to me (or how long it will take a doctor to get back to me when it does!)

No comments:

Post a Comment